Sunday, June 04, 2017

BBC London News prioritises me in its coverage!



This is the second time I've appeared on BBC London News. The first time was an experience.

The issue is, they shoot first and edit afterwards. Hence, you could do up to 10 minutes of filming and they select about 30 seconds for the final edit. As a result, they have enough footage to make you look like a nutjob or the next Obama.

Selfie just afterfilming


After another session of door-knocking in Beddington today, it was interesting to find that a number of people recalled seeing the above coverage and recognised me. So in a sense it was effective. Maybe it was because the Beeb prioritised me.

I took some advice from the Green Party press office on the morning of filming and they advised to decide what my message was going to be and keep saying it! So, I repeated three times, "improving air quality was engrained in the DNA of the Green party."

You will see from the coverage on BBC London News that a passer-by noticed we were filming and asked if we were talking about the incinerator.

The uncut version would have shown that after she said "no one listens", I had pointed out to her,

"Improving air quality is ingrained in the DNA of the Green party. You know, we are the party of the environment."

Previously, off camera she had said that she was going to vote Conservative. However, when I explained the above, I genuinely saw her eyes light up in recognition that the environment meant improving the air quality where she lived and not something distant like saving the whales. Sadly this wasn't necessarily captured.

The presenter even said, "You may have got her vote there."

It seems the Beeb couldn't mention air quality without getting a counter argument. I can almost accept their predicament.


--------------------------------------------------
Tags ,

No comments:

Standing up for what matters